Thursday 12 April 2007

DW Review: Border Princes

The second "Torchwood" novel is Border Princes. The reason for the "scare quotes" is in white below.


I have to ask: has Dan Abnett ever seen Torchwood? I am asking because I'm wondering why this book counts as a Torchwood novel. Most of it is a series of seperate events, with only the characters in common. And main threats aren't even dealt with by Torchwood! Would they have survived if not presented with the deus ex machina of James and co.

And speaking of James, how obvious was that? Fine, I have seen that particular Stargate SG-1 episode, but it's still obvious. James isn't a member of Torchwood and the connect of events makes it clear from the get go, so are we even for a moment supposed to accept otherwise. Does Dan Abnett underestimate his audience that much? (Although if they had been able to change the "cast" photo... :) )

So the plot isn't much, as I said a series of different Torchwood encounters, and the main concept is simple, so I hated this book. Actually, no, I didn't hate it. I was disappointed in it. Okay, it would have been interesting to see how Torchwood dealt with the different events, but they didn't! The whole book could easily have been transplated in any other fictional setting (including SG-1).

At least the cast is well written. There's a major conceit we have to swallow in regards to Gwen, but the book presents them well. Shame the focus is on James.

It... I... aargh! This book isn't a Torchwood novel, godsdammit!


ORDER: Although this may fit more around episode 5 and 6, I'd rather place it before Cyberwoman.

No comments: