Saturday 13 January 2007

Writing Doctor Who

Big Finish have this open call for stories for their latest collection, which is great and all, and I would like to take advantage of it, but...

For some reason I'm just not that inspired to write DW fiction right now. I still enjoy reading it, but when it comes to putting pen to paper I think about trying to capture the characterisation of Nyssa or Polly, not to mention the Doctor, and enthusiasm just drains away.

I'm thinking it has something to do with, in many ways, that I'm restricted in what I can write. When I write my LNH stuff, I'm completely open to do whatever I like with the character under my control (insert evil laugh here), but for DW stories... Yes, I could just do what I like anyway, but then there's the spirit of the story and keeping true to the original source that... well... again fails to inspire me.

This is really putting a severe crimp in my plans to do my own Doctor Who anthology...

In the mean time, here are links to two online stories by proper DW writers, Deep and dreamless sleep, and The Feast of the Stone.

No comments: