Monday 7 May 2007

Getting One's Coat

I've seen, cropping up recently in posts and such, the ending expression "I'll get my coat."

The fuller version of the expression can be worked out after some easy thought: "Oops, I gather I have committed a social faux pas. Please allow me to excuse myself from your presence. Please don't get up, I'll see myself out, and gather up my own accoutrements on the way."

This would seem to be along the lines of other expressions, such as "With all due respect...", "Don't take this seriously,...", "Just an idea here,..." or even "Just kidding!"

The intent is to say "I've just said/written something that others won't like. I'll deal with myself so people won't attack me back."

And yet, and this is the point, in no case does there appear to be the decision "Since this will be interpreted as an annoyance, I won't post it." Nope, it's post and then excuse, not do not post. (Reminds me of "better to seek forgiveness than ask permission.")

I am not getting my coat, and if you want to respond, please leave your own outware where they are and say what you like.

No comments: