Wednesday 1 August 2007

Vegans don't have sex with meat

Okay, that's not the title of the article, but that would have been much funnier.

(Given that I make sexual jokes below, I'm going to hide the rest of this below the fold.)

New Zealand now has "vegansexuals", people who only have sex with other vegans. Because, as the saying goes "You are what you eat." Which does give rise to some problems:

'One vegan respondent from Christchurch said: "I believe we are what we consume, so I really struggle with bodily fluids, especially sexually."' I can see that oral sex might cause some dilemmas (certainly with 'spit' vs 'swallow'), and, indeed, vegans might not like the idea of feasting on one's 'meat and two veg' (although presumably then teabagging will be all right).

This comes from a study, but one line in particular caught my attention: "Many female respondents described being attracted to people who ate meat, but said they did not want to have sex with meat-eaters because their bodies were made up of animal carcasses."

Female respondents? I wonder how many males gave this qualification. If it came to a casual pick up at a bar, then I doubt men would be the first to ask "So, I suppose you like to rip raw hunks of bleeding meat off of live screaming animals, and wallow in the blood as you cram pieces of muscle down your gullet?" Men just aren't that picky.

Now, I'm not hassling vegetarians (as long as they don't hassle me), and they are free to have whatever sexual practices as makes them happy. I just find it amusing that this is the story that makes the paper.

[END]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"... they did not want to have sex with meat-eaters because their bodies were made up of animal carcasses."

And there I thought sentient plants were a rarity...

Anonymous said...

Slow news day! That's the reason it's in the paper. Probably not enough death, disaster and despair around the world so they need something 'human' interest to supplant the rest of the paper.

It did give me a giggle but maybe I'm just easily titillated?