Monday 31 December 2007

Ritual

We all have rituals, in all shapes and sizes (pilgrims to particular places each year, throwing salt over one's shoulder, watching a particular Christmas movie(*)). Tonight is one for me, and indeed I expect not to be the only one.

Tonight I'll be up to see in the New Year. Why? Um... just because really. I said around this time last year that is it an entirely arbitrary point to changing a count from a point people thought significant... but even I have to admit it is a compelling psychological point. (I did avoid seeing in 2000 just because I'm one of those that refuse to accept 2000 as the new millennium, and only cared about 2001.)

Unfortunately, in the olden days, there were big TV programs counting down the final minutes, but looking at the current TV schedule... it sucks! So, instead, although I have heard bad things, I'll be spending today slogging though 24 Season Six... which only takes 18 hours actually, when watching sans ads.

(*)Die Hard for me. And usually reread Hogfather as well. Haven't this year, though.

[END]

No comments: