Wednesday 16 January 2008

There was a movie in there somewhere?

So, saw The Golden Compass last night... I'm sure it is much stronger in the books, 'cos one could easily make a point that the Majestarium is a political metaphor than a religious one(*).

Um...I get the feeling I should go read the books, because I have to say this movie was a mess! It cut from scene to scene all over the place with little thought to an actual sensible continuity of plotline, and it's only because they cut the plot down that I was able to keep up with what's going on.

It really is the Lyra movie, where the kid can do no wrong. Need an ice bear? Yep, she can provide. Talk down several dangerous villains? Not a problem for her. Manage to run away from an entire army? Can do! I know she had script immunity, but even the plot device (aka the compass) is pushed to extreme to get everything happing nicely for her.

But it's a nice, easy to watch, kids movie. Certainly families in the theatre with me. Lots of lovely, absolutely gorgeous visuals, and no blood anywhere (although there was a... jaw-dropping moment that I was surprised was left in). Coherency-aside, you'll spend a lot of time going "oh, that's so-and-so", and isn't that the best kind of movie of all?

(*)Although kids are more readily identified as particular religions, not particular political affiliations, although both come down to "set of beliefs" in many ways...

[END]

No comments: