Wednesday 6 February 2008

Sweeney Plod

As you've no doubt guessed from the title, I've seen Sweeney Todd. I like musicals. I do. Yes, including Andrew Lloyd Webber (loved Phantom of the Opera). And The Producers was great! And, of course, the musical numbers in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory were amazing!

But this... I was not impressed. It might be that this was simply a different style of musical that I hadn't otherwise encountered (haven't really seen any Gilbert and Sullivans), but nearly every line was sung rather than basically spoken, and they segued from singing lines to entire songs and back to lines again. This got rather annoying, and given that this wasn't exactly a high-octane movie, this made the movie move slowly. Really slowly.

I've often heard the name of Sweeney Todd bandied around, and definitely wanted to see it. Now I have, and don't think I'll be checking out the stage version any time soon...

[END]

No comments: