Sunday 23 March 2008

Con Job!

I was at Conjunction yesterday (only day I went). Went to a few panels, took pictures at a couple (got a lot of learn about using my camera), but rather than clutter my main page, I'm going to tuck them behind the fold... Short version: all right, but one day was sufficient.


First up was Torchwood, part of the Kate and Jon show.

And what a show it was! Apparently Torchwood is all about sex, death and ratings, and there were pictures to prove it. Oh, and women watch it because of all the boy-kissing. I'm sure I might be able to offer a defence of it being a bit more than that, but can't think of an argument right this minute. And I found out about something truly mind shocking.

Next I was at the Cartoons of the 80s retrospective. I knew most of what Jess was talking about, but there are still things that one does not want to know about. (A comparison could be made with GI Joe and Cobra with Nick Fury, Shield and Hydra.)

Jon talked about making fan films. He's still working on a clean version of Time Rift, but nearly done.

Elizabeth Moon (the one in the middle) made a guest appearance at Age Appropriate Science Fiction.

There was some discussion about how children fantasy is dumbed down for adults (so adults feel happier that their children aren't threatened with difficult ideas and words like "different"). Not much was successfully achieved, except have books around and see what people are interested in.

We discussed "Is it science fiction?" in which we asked if various movies really are science fiction, but since we never really defined science fiction, it also didn't really go anywhere.

Then was Kate and Jon's guest speech, in which they called their past selves of ten years ago and gushed about all the exciting changes in technology, tv, and science fiction that have been. (This might later appear on their blogs.)

I did get my copy of Fallen Gods signed (really should read that some day), and picked up Jon's Prisoner book (which he co-wrote with Rupert Booth) The Prisoner's Dilemma (which is also signed!).

If I was going tomorrow, it would be tempted to go to the auction and get one of the knitted Daleks. They're so cute!

But the draw isn't quite powerful enough.

[END]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, I finally read it! You should have had a little more above the fold to lure people in. I actually missed it when scrolling through your blog trying to find the entry! Guess I was looking too hard (or i was just stoopid). Had a squizz at Kate Orman and Jon Blum's live journal which is very interesting.

Jamas Enright said...

As I said, didn't want to clutter... and by doing so, I made it invisible!