Monday 9 June 2008

DW: Episode 4.9

Um... to be honest... kinda disappointed... it was largely as predicted...


Oh look, the little girl was the computer... what a sur-completely predicted event! Did we see the Doctor Moon link? Not really, but never entirely had a chance to. And the key factor linking on 'saved' vs 'safe'... eh, I'm not entirely buying. I agree that a computer would used 'saved', but then so might someone else, as it's referring to a past event, not their current condition. A forced stretch, sir.

Everybody lives... again... Have to say that it's losing it's dramatic impact. I would compare this episode with The Doctor Dances (someone else does the dramatic rescue instead of the Doctor, everybody lives, the use of the blue special effect gun), but I'll leave that to someone else. Suffice to say that if everyone always lives, then that's not an exceptional happy ending any more. (And I'll just point out a continuity cheat. I was watching Anita's helmet, and it was fully green until the dramatic close up. Not fair, I say, not fair!)

And as for River Song... looks like people are thinking 'wife'. Can't really disagree. Certainly the whole 'there's only one situation in which I could tell my name' is an interesting point... but, unless Steven Moffat is planning on revealing this when he's in charge, I'm going to chalk this to 'mysterious event which would only annoy if considered' and not consider it further.

Of more interest is the fact that the Doctor hears thousands of voices in his head. General telepathy? His other selves getting rowdy? Or has he the ghosts of Gallifrey talking to him? (Shades of the EDAs there.)

So, an episode that is mediocre, especially from Moffat. Still better than other episodes, but on the whole... eh.


Next week: Oh, drama set in one room! But it does look intriguing...

[END]

No comments: