Sunday 6 July 2008

More Spore

Spore sounds like a great game. One that nearly makes me want to buy it (although my computer probably can't even slightly handle it).

A big step has been taken to promote Spore, and that is to release the Creature Creator. With this you can play around, create lots of creatures, with the scope merely limited by whether or not you get the free or full version from the Spore website.

However... and there is a however... one must ask: what price does one have to pay? No, not the actual price of the game, but the price of the EULA. One big issue about big games is what the users have to go through in order to actually merely play the game. And from the sounds of it, the security system for Spore will be a bitch. (I know I've be reluctant to install my Lego Star Wars because of SecuRom rumours...)

I can see that the piracy for this game will be strong, which of course is cited as the reason for the security system... but the ones who entangle with it aren't the ones who it's targeted against. (Reminds me of those copyright ads.)

Basic question: if there was minimal checking (eg. has to be a CD in the tray), would there be more or less people willing to buy the actual game? Just think about it...

[END]

No comments: