Thursday 15 January 2009

Regarding RTP 27

Issue 27 is deceptively light, page 6 in particular looking to be bad filler (which filled me with foreboding after reading Alex’s comments), but I launched into the first article and got stuck in. The last of the Saucer article completes the picture, and I’m glad that we have such a comprehensive coverage of the entire TARDIS TALES … er … tale. (Although when it started referring to the issue it appeared, it seemed a tad too self-referential). And the best part was seeing a new Saucer script (Bruise Greedy? Subtlety indeed, Mr Muir!).

Another meaty article is the look at four years of RTD-ness. Here’s where RTP gets really interesting in that it has the light humourous stuff, but then spins out these thoughtful in-depth examinations of the series! Some very interesting pieces in here, and I note that while we all had different Least-liked episodes, there was overlap in Most-liked.

I liked Dave’s piece on Torchwood, some great points raised there. And while taking nothing away from Dave, he does prove that it’s far easier to come up with anything better than what we got. Pete raises an interesting point re Bannakaffalatta, but it merely shows he thought about it more than RTD did. (But I’m not entirely sure I get the comic strips.)

Although much time passed before this came out, and I see the next issue is due out next month, it was well worth the wait.

[END]

No comments: