Tuesday 10 March 2009

The Chronicles of Risan: Part the Twenty-Seventh

Where were we? We had just reached the city of mumblemumble in the land of cantremember, a splinter offshoot of the Shadowfell, complete with sun and everything, which made it feel really weird. (As I follow my lady, the Raven Queen, ruler of Shadowfell, I consider myself an expert on the place, although this is my first visit here.)

The bridge into town was guarded by some undead things with big claws and a bunch of ghouls. We tried to talk our way past the evil creatures, but that didn't really work very well considering the paladin's holy symbol was shining up in their faces (although that paladin is going to get bashed by his own order soon as he is good but his god isn't). So, yeah, there was fighting. Should have expected that... and we did!

The big claw things weren't that bad, although the ghouls annoyed. I soon found myself with a surprise bodack (bodak?) guest, but all in all the fight wasn't that problematic. What was tricky was then deciding the next way forward. There was a gate of mummy-style bandages and rot and stuff, which meant we gave that a miss and peeked over the walls. There was a huge black structure that looked to be the goal, but we could either go past a temple-type place or through some ruins... which contained a guard outpost. Temple it was.

We tried to brash our way past, but that wasn't ever really going to work. The priest called out a Nightwalker to his aid (which wasn't as bad as the tales would have you believe), but what was more annoying was the damn skulls on poles which meant we were more susceptible to their powers. And then two traps sprang up... but once I was momentarily unentangled from the fight, I took care of them (I really am a great thief) before getting back into it.

Not that this was easy. In fact, it was a hard slog that took a lot out of the paladin. The Nightwalker disappeared once we took out the priest, but I suspect it wasn't what it wanted to do. With our reserves down, we decided to back off, although this could lead to facing refreshed forces on our return...

[END]

2 comments:

Peter A said...

Bodach.

Jamas Enright said...

Eh, whatever. Once they're my quarry, their name is "biatch"!