Sunday 10 January 2010

DW RPG: I Want to Play

It's fair to say that I think the latest version of the Doctor Who Role Playing Genre has some places it could be developed, but let's not lose sight of one important point: I want to play it! Flaws or not, getting together with friends to have a fun time playing in one of my favourite ever TV shows? Not going to be something I turn down just because some of the rules are a little dodgy.

Although, to be honest, whether it's this, or Timelord or the original FASA... I'd be willing to give it a go. At one Kapcon, we had a system minimal Doctor Who adventure and that was fun too! What matters is the people, not the mechanics.

One thing I can't do is compare the three role playing systems. I haven't played the FASA system, and played the Timelord game once, many many years ago, certainly long ago enough that I can barely remember it (I played the Fifth Doctor, the other player made a version of himself, and we were up against the Dominators...). So, can't comment on one versus the other.

Not that it matters. I doubt I will be playing DW any time soon, unless, I suspect, I start a game (have been thinking about it...). And if I do, will likely use DW ATS as that currently has the flavour of the month to it, and support. But, to repeat above, whatever system it is the having fun that counts (to misquote LV Martin).

To get back to my previous playing of this, I'll finish off this series of posts by talking about our adventures. Next time, on this blog...

[END]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Morgan Davie said...

Just to say - I'm enjoying this series of posts. Very good overview of the game and your experiences with it. Nice one.