Sunday 2 January 2011

That Far-Off Sleep

So what do you do when you wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep?

This morning, I listened to some music. Sometimes I go on the internet, sometimes I just lie there, yearning for sleep. They say you should get up and do something (eg read a book in another room (so different posture as well)), but too often I'm too tired to do anything, but not tired enough to actually sleep.

This morning was the added bonus of an alarm off in the distance, just barely audible, but I knew it was there. Reminded me of the alarm that awoke me while I was on holiday. Four loud blaring notes, then a voice saying "a fire alarm has been set off elsewhere, be ready to move your ass" (although it eventually was just switched off, so I guess the fire wasn't that bad). No idea what the voice was actually saying this morning. Have to say that a part of me hopes it annoyed another people as well, as all too often it seems that when there is a loud noise in the middle of the night (eg from a large metal door to the meter box that fell open and started banging about in the wind), I'm the only one that seems to hear it and so I'm the one to has to deal with it. Really, really annoying...

Anyway, sleep, need it, especially when having to work that day (fortunately not today). What's your remedy for getting it? Warm milk anyone?

[END]

No comments: