Friday, 4 March 2011

Water Way to Sleep

So here's a topic that doesn't get brought up that often (that I'm aware of): do you sleep with a glass of water nearby? I do. Most nights, just the occasional sip is all I need. Sometimes a fair bit. Once or twice, I've needed a refill.

However, on the rare occasion I don't have a glass of water nearby, I wake up parched and desperately in need of a drink. Fine, it might be selective memory, but it's definitely a rare night I don't have water nearby, and I can certainly recall that I woke up thirsty those times... (although I won't go so far as to saying the glass of water hydrates the air, which is why I don't wake up parched other nights, 'cos that's silly... and not true).

I can't say I'm aware of any surveys out there asking people this question, yet it says a lot of our habits and our biology that night hydration is necessary. Or is it? I know of a few people who have mentioned it, but is it just us odd dry people? Do you sleep near cool refreshing H20?



evildicemonkey said...

Not unless you count the rain outside my window.

I remember reading Scott Adams talking about how he was amazed on the one night he forgot to turn off his bedside lamp when sleeping that there was a spider in his glass of water when he went to drink it, he goes on to talk about how it was not a lucky occurrence but that he had probably drank loads of spiders but didn't know until that night.

That story probably doesn't help me in wanting to become a "water by the bed" guy.

Jamas Enright said...

Yeah, I had that story in mind as well. Had a few water/bug encounters myself.
Could just use a sipper bottle instead...