Monday 27 June 2016

Post 3D

When I saw ID5, it was in a 3D session, which is I suspect the real reason this session was largely empty. This movie wasn't filmed in 3D, it was post converted, but I thought there would be some great moments for 3D to shine through, so wanted to give it a go.

The opening shot is going through galaxies, hearing the old speech (and if there was a caption saying '20 light years away' I would have screamed. Fortunately there wasn't), and they looked great... until the titles and credits were plastered on them, flat and not in the image at all and took me out of it. And while 3D should be able to do distances great, that was really the only moment I felt there was any real depth to the picture.

And I think we'll need to come up with a new language in film for dealing with 3D. There was one scene, featuring Liam and Jeff talking. It was the usual two shot, near over the shoulder, set up. One shot was on Liam with Jeff in the background... and then we cut to a close up on Jeff. Normally, this isn't a problem, but since I felt (on some level) that Jeff was in the background, and now he was in my face, this was a discontinuity with how the scene was in my mind and it threw me out of the movie. He was back, and now he was forward. With supposed 3D, that threw that contrast into stark contrast.

Keep an eye on this site for actual 3D movies, and this is a good example of why not to post convert.

[END]

No comments: