Monday 20 February 2023

Argon Fked Myself

Trapped on a plane (more on that later) so watched a movie from over ten years ago!

Science Fiction is the best! What can't it do? In this case, it is responsible for getting Americans out of Iran! So, yeah, small thing, Iran had a bit of a crisis in 1979, and some Americans escaped their embassy to sit with the Canadians for a while, and so this chap decides to pretend to film a movie so that he can go location scout and come back with a larger team than he set out with.

I do severely wonder about how accurate parts of that was, so... off to the trivia page! ... uh huh...uh huh... uh huh... sod all details really. One item that says the New Zealander (and British) effort was downplayed, because we weren't that terrible... oh, and a whole thing about the dramatic ending not being real. I did recognise that, just wondered how much it was made up.

Damn good acting in this! Big names that you recognise, although some were "I know I know that person, but..." And okay, I will give Ben Affleck credit for this. It's a minor thing, but so much of his usual personality is "quircky upbeat guy" that to see him play this completely serious and smile just about once gave this a lot of gravitas that helped emphasize that this movie wasn't fucking around.

Definitely a good watch! I can see why people rate it highly.

[And at this point, I'm surprised the in movie movie Argo hasn't been proposed to be actually made... maybe I should check failed Kickstarter projects...]

[END]

No comments: