Wednesday 31 May 2023

Super Brothers Luigi Movie

Now, I'll be upfront, I'm not a Nintendo fanboy. In fact, I don't think I've ever played a single Mario game, although I've certainly seen enough Let's Plays, especially of... that one... with the doors and stars? So, it's no understatement to say I'm not the target audience for this.

Mario and Luigi muck around in Brooklyn for a long while, and get into antics with a dog for... reasons? Eventually, they are transported to the Mushroom Kingdom, where Luigi is sidelined like usual, and it's all about Mario, as usual. He teams up with Princess Peach, then with Donkey Kong, and all together they transport everyone back to Brooklyn for a final battle. You know, as is usual in Mario games.

As mentioned above, I'm not that conversant so while I got some stuff, I have less than no doubt that I missed many, many, many (if not all) of the references. But hey, I do like the animation, I thought it was really spot on, and very faithful to the games. (Aside from Princess Peach's face. I don't know what it is about it, but it just looked odd.)

There is much about the plot that confuses. What is with the dog? Why go back to Brooklyn? Is the Mushroom Kingdom now just a transit stop away from there? (It seems so.) And yeah, that very weird philosophical blue star at the end... no doubt there are many many youtube videos explaining everything, but I'm not watching those.

Not for me, but there are plenty of people who enjoyed this.

[END]

No comments: