Thursday 25 April 2024

Too Doon

I was never going to jump on it, so it took me a while, but I finally got around to it.

Paul goes through a montage with the Frenem, picking up lots of abilities and becoming their hero. In the mean time, the space bad guys decide they should do something about him. And so we get a big slap fight at the end, and the only one who wins are the women.

Overly simplistic take? Sure, but I did find myself going "not a lot of happening here, and we have how many hours to go?" No doubt in this whole six hours, there's a decent adaptation to uncover. Not a 90 minute version (or however long the Sting version was), but we don't need six hours either.

The performances are fine. I hope you like Timothee Chalamet, 'cos he certainly is on screen a lot. There are various female actress, but a lot of them are more "hey, it's that actress" than them actually being a character that actually matters to the plot. Even Zendaya is often relegated to a sexy lamp role.

But the shots are all impressive. It is a very pretty movie, although it does involve a lot of sand. We hear that Villeneuve has a third movie in him that he wants and then... do we get a continuation of the movies as a series? A tv series? A reboot? Anything is possible.

Overall, I'm as excited for the next movie as I was for this one.

[END]

No comments: