With success of small scale horror movies, let's try this video game adaptation.
Rebecca is a new Mortuary Assistant (hey, I wrote the name of the movie!) and weird things are happening at this mortuary. A demon is possessing bodies of the dead (or newly making them dead? the movie isn't clear), but that's all right, the main mortuary guy knows how to deal with that... unfortunately, he hasn't properly told Rebecca, and she's partially possessed herself. So, small issues, but I'm sure all that mortuary assistanting will help... except that isn't in any way relevant any more.
I've seen people play the game, so I know some of what, and I will admit that the movie does have bits of that certainly here. There is the scene of marking down marks. And there is checking for name sigils. And there is weird things... but these are not cohesive, but very different moments. And there is a ton of backstory now for what Rebecca is the way she is and how things fit together and... I know the game maker was involved in the script, but I don't know how much, and wonder how much was actual lore in his head and how much was just pulled out for the movie, but it feels like a lot.
Willa Holland is the Rebecca and... oh, she was Thea in Arrow/Flash! That's where I know her from. And no-one else I recognise. The demon figure from the game image is definitely there, and looks decent even in light. The make up effects are decent on the dead people, and the graphic moments aren't too graphic (but kinda gory). But...
The additional story, the way this whole thing was shot, the cheapening on every aspect that isn't directly tied into the game... this movie just isn't good. Shame, but... there you go.
[END]

No comments:
Post a Comment