Thursday, 1 October 2026

Ôdishon

People talk about it, but how many have seen it? I is now one! 

A widower decides to get back into the dating game, and his friend decides "hey, that's a great excuse for a movie" and so they audition a group of young women to be in the movie. But he is already taken with one woman and wants to know more about her. She's got a dark past, and slowly her issues come to light and she takes down others with her.

This is a definite slow burn. From the nature of the movie, we get the sense that something is off about her, but I didn't guess the whole back story. People mention that Miike gets quite shocking, but if so, this is very restrained (until the last part of the movie).

I recognise Ryô Ishibashi (being a fan of the Grudge movies), but not anyone else. The acting is all fine, and Eihi Shiina is suitable creepy.

I don't see this as the start of a Miike retrospective, but I will try to remember to catch some more of his at some point. 

[END]

No comments: