Monday 17 September 2007

The economical choice?

I'm a big fan of Green Lantern and want to collect the entire Hal Jordan run that started in the sixties and went to the eighties. (I have the later run that started in the ninties... but I gave up when it underwent the latest reboot, split into too many titles, cost far too much and didn't give much reading time... bah!)

Fortunately, DC are putting out archives, collected volumes. And in two formats. One set is the Green Lantern Archives, which collects nine volumes into a hardback book, costing $US33. The other set is Showcase Presents: Green Lantern, which is around 20 issues in a softcover, costing $US10.

Which choice is the better one?

However, another factor: GLA is in colour, Showcase isn't. I want the colour versions. Which means I am facing huge cost for a very long time.

If they continue the nine issue per rate (and as the comics go on, I think they get shorter, so it might possibly increase), then there are 25 volumes of GLA to get. Bloomin' heck! Now, I have about every issue from around #150 on so I could stop then, but this is a more robust to aging format (and some of my comics are indeed falling apart),... and there's no sign they are putting these out frequently (nine months between GLA #5 and #6...but no sign of #7) so I'm not breaking the bank just yet...

...still sucks to think about the money they're trying to screw out of me...

[END]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suppose they're not going to be helpful and release them more cheaply as paperbacks either. Tsk.

Anonymous said...

While the Archive editions are generally nice and sturdy, I own two of the Showcase volumes of Green Lantern and I have to say that I don't really miss the colour all that much; they very helpfully let you know *every* time something yellow appears.

I would say, if you just want to admire the stories and the pencil/ink work, go with the Showcase.

Jamas Enright said...

Well, yeah, if you want to be reasonable about it...