Wednesday 13 February 2008

What people read...

The list for the nominations of the new Sir Julius Vogel awards is now available. These will be presented at the next con, during which the voting will take place.

Uh... I have to admit, I haven't read any of those books. Not that I read widely, but I haven't even heard of them, recognise none of the titles, nothing... Although it looks like the Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine is the place to go for short story fiction around here... hmmm...

Movie-wise (or "Best Dramatic Presentation – Long Form" as they call it), those I do know. Never saw The Tattooist (was tempted but didn't get around to it), but I think Black Sheep will easily beat out Perfect Creature.

I note amusingly that two of the "Best Fan Production" were shown as part of the video competition in Conspiracy II (Renaldo and SGA - Promotion). SGA would get my vote, but should at least wait until I see Destination: Earth.

For Fanzine, I predict that Pheonixine will win (mainly due to more of those readers turning up more than TSV readers - although possibly the presence of OrmanBlum might cause a tip in the numbers...), although I hope TSV gets an editor before the final nomination ballot is presented (someone want to tell Adam?).

But I'm only able to talk about those categories. Yeah, I'm no lit-fan...

[END]

2 comments:

Paul Scoones said...

Adam's got his editor's credit on the nominations page now.

I agree with you that Phoenix will almost certainly take out the Fanzine award as they do every year through strength of numbers. Are there really only two NZ fanzines worthy of nomination each year? And why does the nominations webpage go on at length about some of the nominees and say next to nothing about others? It seems rather unbalanced to me.

Personally I'd prefer a judging panel for these awards but I guess we're seeing democracy in action.

Jamas Enright said...

Perhaps someone could nominate RTP next year? ;)