Tuesday 20 May 2008

Shadowran

Played Shadowrun again at the recent WARGS, and like as not will be playing it again next time. Now, let me preface this with: I did have fun. It was an enjoyable time.

That said, the game was a little repetitive. I've realise that's it's not so much D&D as it is something very similar: a computer RPG. The main point has been to "get mission from NPC X, go to place Y to kill (depending on how lethal you're trying to be) bunch of people and get item Z (be it a person or package), return Z to X for successful mission completion". Now, yes, many games could be simplified to this level, but last time it was basically this, and this time it was this... twice!

Fine, fine, fine, there can be a larger story arc, and there's lots of stuff we didn't do that we could have looked into (although time was against us, really do need more than a few hours to really get into an adventure), but... my impressions of Shadowrun, fun as they are, are that it isn't very wide in adventure type...

(I played the same pregen character as last time. If I was more committed to developing the character, I'm sure I could come up with something more refined, but, eh... not that worth it at the moment, ultimately, given how infrequently I'm playing the game.)

[END]

No comments: