Monday 2 June 2008

DW: Episode 4.8

Steven Moffat certainly knows how to write a proper episode, although I do see definite similarities with previous scripts... and who knew they'd insert that character from the books?


Don't blink... I mean, don't go in the shadows. There lurks something scary that you can't see by looking at it... and it glows green... hang on, that was an X-Files episode. No, it's a creature that lives in the darkness and feeds on the light... hang on, what's that a DW book? Or am I thinking of an audio?

Either way, Steven does a great take on it here, using one room really well to build up the story and create tension by the bucketfuls (and it wasn't until I realised that we were about to hit the end that I realised the episode just flew by). One might think he's just padding out backstory before everything kicks off next week (and certainly looks like there is a lot of action next week), but I don't mind because it's so well done. That all said, of course, Donna as the computer node was obvious and who doesn't think Cal will turn out to be the little girl?

So, River Stone, eh? An archaeologist, huh? Is Paul Cornell suing, I wonder? Riverstone... Summerfield... Yeah, I'm sure there's no connection there. I just hope that if that's what they are planning (could this be Steven's big show idea for when he takes over?) that they develop this properly instead of just tossing this out as "oh... ah... never gonna visit this again...".

It's a shame the actual Silence in the actual Library was COMPLETELY RUINED BY THE INCIDENTAL MUSIC! For that the Director should be shot. If the intent is to build atmosphere by pointing out how quiet everything is, don't not make things quiet! I've often said you don't need incidental music, and this is a great example of how it ruins a show. Still, for many other set-ups the Director should congratulated. Just not for that decision.

On the whole, great first parter, of course, and a shout out to Other Dave! (Although not the one in the program ;) )


Next week: Spoilers... and Revelations, I presume! Although some I can guess already.

[END]

No comments: