Sunday 21 September 2008

Tomb of the Mummy 3

The franchise continues, and while I'm not saying Mummy 3 is formulaic, I was flashing back to previous Mummy movies. I'm not surprised Rachel Weisz didn't want to be in this movie, and her replacement (Maria Bello) isn't quite up to the snuff.

It's fun enough, but aside from putting it through an Asian prism, it really is more of the same. So much so, that I can't really think of anything I want to say about the plot that wasn't in the first two movies...

I'm guessing that Brendan Fraser and John Hannah are glad their three picture deals are over (not that I have any idea if John Hannah was on a three-picture deal), as while they are in this picture, they really look to be phoning their performances in. Meanwhile, it's good to see Jet Li (didn't he retire from action movies, or something?) and Michelle Yeoh on the screen again (must check out Forbidden Kingdom some time). And we have Luke Ford, who might well be carrying the Mummy franchise movie forward. Not exactly star material, but I'm sure he's cheap and that's what counts.

Fun enough movie, but really isn't anything we've said before. Has this series run out of steam already?

[END]

No comments: