Saturday 20 September 2008

Living in The Stranger's Hood

Inspired by true events? (Not really.) I can hear the conversation now... "There was this thing... and this bad thing happen to this person..." "Wow, that's amazing, let's make a movie of it!"

The Strangers is the big Liv Tyler release since Armageddon (I guess, can't remember anything else). She carries most of the movie, but since she was suffering from tonsillitis she is really soft spoken, which makes her calling for help really pathetic.

Another annoying thing is the camera moving. I have no idea what was going though Bryan Bertino's head, but we don't need motion-sickness in every scene (although some scenes are far worse than others). I'm sure I've complained about this before, but it's not slick directing, it just makes you want to leave the theatre. (Note: speaking of, when I saw this movie, I was the only one in the place!)

What it really comes down to is that there is no point to this movie. It's not about the strange people, because it's not told from their point of view. It's not really about people suffering through terrible things, because it's just a big beat up (although from an atmospheric view, it is a good thriller build-up). There's no "amazing human spirit" or anything.

Basically, even if you have nothing better to do, there's no need to see this movie.

[END]

No comments: