Saturday 1 September 2012

I've Been Watching...

Although I've got plenty of DVDs and Doctor Who ones in particular, this one had to take a priority place in the queue, one of my favourite stories of all time The Krotons! Although this is certainly not the case for everyone. I wrote about it back in an old issue of RTP... and if I had the file handy, I'd reprint it here...

This story is a nice run around, with lots of action demanding dashing about the place. And, let's be honest, it's the Doctor's fault that the Krotons are woken up (although to be fair, people were dying before he stepped in... and although people do continue to die, in the long term they are better off). An interesting point about this story is there is no date/time to hook it into the rest of the universe. However, with the Krotons now turning up in the Expanded Universe(tm), no doubt this can be positioned if it needs to be. Checking AHistory for example puts it... as still unplaceable. Ha!

One of the aspects of this that I usually need to point out is the use of incidental music. Or rather, the lack of it. Incidental music isn't something I typically notice, and when I do it is usually because it doesn't work. Furthermore, if you need incidental music, then what it is about the scene that is lacking in itself that it doesn't convey what you need it to, and have to cover the gap with music? The Krotons works great without it, and is a good example for not needing it at all (new series take note especially!).

The features on the DVD are a bit non-specific. We get an overview of the entire Second Doctor stories, Frazier Hines talks about various stories he did, and, aside from the photos, the only documentary about the story itself is the piece by Joseph Lidster and Simon Guerrier... which, to be honest, I could have done without. Note that the commentary or subtitles have an easier time of it, the commentary overloading on people who can't remember the story (although I would love for the costume designer's sketches to be available, in general as well as specific), and the subtitles spends time going on about things that aren't happening on screen, never a good sign.

Never a poster child for Who, I still think The Krotons is a solid story, even if the DVD struggles with giving us substance.

[END]

No comments: