Saturday 2 May 2015

The MAGIC Pudding

The Magic Pudding is an Australian childrens book from back in the day that I recall trying to read when I was a young'un. I'm not sure why I had so much trouble with it, but I think I gave it a few goes, but couldn't get through it. Perhaps it just didn't make sense? This is a bit of a nonsense story, but the audio book definitely helped getting through it.

Bunyip Bluegum sets out to see the world, and encounters Bill Barnacle and Sam Sawnoff, and their pudding Albert. This is a sentient, even moving, pudding, with its own opinions (which comes down to "I want to run away" and "eat more of me"). Being magic, eating it doesn't diminish it. Most of the adventures they then go through involve being pudding owners and encountering two pudding thieves. And then the end of the book comes, so they finish adventuring. (Really, that's how that works.)

Having it read to me meant that the sudden changes to songs, and the rather alliterative names didn't give me any problems. And made it a bit more enjoyable, although the repetitive nature of the 'encounter pudding thieves, defeat pudding thieves' made the plot wear thin quickly.

Still, fun enough.

[END]

No comments: