Saturday 6 June 2015

Furious Roade

While I was up in Auckland, I had some time, so checked out a movie that people seemed to be liking.

Mad Max is wandering along, and falls into someone else's adventure. That being that of Imperious Furiosa, who has decided to take her own stand in this world. And then Max goes around, joins with her, and does about one commanding decision but is otherwise a plot tourist, but then again that's about par for the course.

This is one of those movies where they went to lengths to make the effects practical - although I did spend a lot of time wondering how they did one effect in particular. They also spent a lot of time trying to make things look cool (see the guitar war boy), but I in turn wondered how much resource they could have saved if they hadn't make extremely ridiculous vehicles like that. (If you are going to be post-apocalyptic, I'm going to ask rational questions. I'm not the target audience.)

Some muttering has been made about this being a feminist movie, and sure most of the best acting parts are given to women, but then so are the better characters. Men still have the power, but they act like jerks with it, so no wonder women have more thinking going on. I liked that part, and didn't have a problem with it.

But as I said, I'm not the target audience. I saw this in an otherwise empty theatre, so could just relax into it. In that regard, it was fine, but it's not something I'm up and cheering over.

[END]

No comments: