Friday 14 August 2015

The Men from NUNCLE I Prithee

Guy Ritchie? Spy movie? 60s? This is gonna be gud!

In the Cold War it's East vs West, and we watch as Solo extracts a young lady from East Berlin... and then hilariously, he's teamed up with the Russian agent that he was up against! There's a nuclear bomb in the making, and so Napoleon and Illya need to get it together to track it down, but will they be able to over come their Odd Couple nature?

Despite that... it is... I don't want to say boring, but it's not what I was expecting. There are a couple of action scenes, but they get undercut by lots of tensionless moments. And it feels, at times, like every scene has a different director and tone guiding it. It's just... it feels odd.

It's been a while since I've seen any Man episodes (and I have the entire collection to watch some time in a nice... or rather cheap cardboard case). But this doesn't feel like what I think the series was like. Certainly Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer don't feel like they have the back and forth of Robert Vaughn and David McCallum (and I'm disappointed there's no cameos by them!).

It just doesn't feel like a good action spy movie, let alone anything inspired by a classic tv series.

[END]

No comments: