Wednesday 2 September 2015

Ricky and Mort

There are many cartoon series I've heard about, with Rick and Morty described as a kind of sci-fi show. Eventually I picked up season one and took a look.

Morty is a fourteen year old boy, living with his mom and dad and older sister. Just joined them in the mother's father, Rick, who is an alcoholic genius scientist. Together (usually because Rick drags Morty along) they go on adventures to alternative dimensions and deal with strange science, and rip off more than a few movie references along the way.

This show feels more annoying than enjoyable. Certainly the constantly burping Rick and the ever shouting Morty (both voiced by Justin Roiland) take a long time to get to used to. And, get used to it I did. It did take a few episodes, but yet, I now find this funny.

What I'm not sure about is why this is funny. It's certainly aiming high with some of its ideas, and I do wonder how many children enjoy this (although it's shown on Adult Swim, so they know what they are getting into). And yet... it feels low brow and just playing on grossness, while still getting the geek jokes in.

It's odd... but I guess I'll have to check out season two.

[END]

1 comment:

Morgan Davie said...

I love Rick & Morty. It's like nothing else out there.