Saturday 6 November 2021

Undine

A nice wee film about love and killing people because of water.

Undine breaks up with one boyfriend, but ends up with another one pretty quickly. While passionate, a brief encounter shows she still has feelings for the one old. Well, we can't be having with that, can we?

Undine is a water nymph, and this movie taps into that idea, although I'm not very familiar with the myth. But the brief line on IMDB gives it away (spoilers!), so I wasn't too shocked when it happened. Knowing it was coming, events did flow nicely and it is quite the tale. Not so much of a woman scorned, but certainly a woman with her own problems that has a supernatural touch to it.

Paula Beer gives a good performance as Undine, but I was reminded by Franz Rogowski that I've seen him in a few other things. Thanks to the Wellington Film Society for broadening my horizons!

At only 90 minutes, it doesn't outstay its welcome, and indeed it is a welcome film.

[END]

No comments: