Saturday 22 July 2023

Barbie Girl!

Of the two, I saw Barbie. I have no interest in seeing the other one.

Woo! I'm glad I saw this. This was great... for the most part. Barbie comes to the real world, and finds out what a trash fire life is. Yay! Fun!

And it is fun. There are tons of references to all sorts of things (I wonder how many kids will get the 2001 intro? Or the keyboard demo music??) I laughed a lot.

But there is a lot of thinking here too. What is the woman's role in life? Why is it so hard in the world of patriarchy? What is Ken?

...which is a point. Ken takes over the movie at one point, and I was wondering "hey, isn't this supposed to be about Barbie? Why is it about the guys now?" Let alone... what's the point of Will Ferrell and co? They are in the movie, and then we get to the end of the movie and... there they are... wha?

No, this is not going to be considered a deep movie... but it's still a great movie.

[END]

No comments: