Monday 21 October 2013

I've Been Watching

Much like a lot of other people, I've been watching something many haven't seen for a long time... the 1936 Olympic Games! Or, possibly, The Enemy of the World. One or the other.

This is rather a good story! Having only read the book (and maybe once seen the, at the time, one remaining episode), I didn't have a high opinion of this. But it does quite move along (unlike the hovercraft). We get nicely to the conceit of Salamander being a double for the Doctor, and Patrick is clearly got this other character down, if I may, pat. (I did, before, thought he acted like a similar character in Brother Hood, but not really.)

Although episode four does go rather bizarre with this rather sudden introduction of the whole underground business. Before it was political machinations, and then the plot serves into decidedly science fiction territory without much warning. I'm not sure how people at the time took it. I'd also be interested to know how many people thought it was the Doctor who turned up at the end (although only for a little while).

[I'm going to get to this story in Running Through Corridors soon, so no doubt there'll be references to not being able to watch this that we can now all laugh jovially about.]

I had a big grin after watching this. Now if there was another story to follow it...

[END]

No comments: