Tuesday 31 July 2007

Closure

People have a need for closure. They hear snippets (of gossip) like "Frank's had a new baby" or "Sarah has an exciting new job with..." and they want to know more. One could end the story with "and they lived happily ever after", but that's not real life, when the next question is "And then what happened?" Only when someone dies do you get any real closure. (And when you die, but that's another matter.)

I'm going on a secondment for new years, working in another government department. As part of the need for closure, here at my current working area, they are doing the "whip around" for a leaving card and money for some pressie (although I suspect it might be vouchers as I wouldn't think people around here know what I really want). This is done more out of a social need for closure than any other reason (considering I don't know most of these people that well, one can't use the "they want to send you off properly" excuse. Most of them will just be in it for the morning tea.)

But, and here's the thing: I don't need closure. I'd like to just leave when the day rolls to a close, and then start the next day at the new place. (And I'm not the only one who wanted that, but they got a leaving thing as well.) Societal needs are powerful, and in many ways the individual doesn't matter.

It's really tempting to call in sick...

[END]

No comments: