Tuesday 2 September 2008

Old School: Quark

Another series from history: Quark, made in 1978. Adam Quark is the head of the garbage collection squad, and has hilarious adventures on the way. And it is clear that it is a comedy, whenever there is a funny line or moment, the laughter track kicks in. (This is one of the hardest angles to get to grips with. The humour seems really forced in places, and the laughter track quite distracting, but towards the end of the show I was getting into it.)

Again, only seen one episode so far May The Source Be With You. Can be taken as a highly religious episode, but unless the rest of the series continues, I'm going to treat this as a source of humour with the whole "oops, the Source made a mistake, I don't believe, unless I don't have a choice". It does take a while to get off, but it does keep up the pace and it extremely watchable.

The main crew is interesting, being a big first I'm thinking in many ways. Aside from Quark, there is a plant-based lifeform (who looks human, strangely enough), a robot, a being that is both man and woman (first duo-sexual being on TV?), and a woman and her clone (that look incredibly hot, of course, just look at the wiki page). Can't say I know of many shows that have mixes like that (well, hot women in starring roles, yes, of course, but aside from that...).

At first I was dubious, but yeah, I can see why people like this. Definitely want to check out more episodes.

[END]

No comments: