Thursday 25 August 2011

POM Wonderful Presents: The Greatest Movie Ever Sold

I'm really glad I saw this movie. Largely because it's Morgan Spurlock, and I enjoyed his previous one, but the basic write up sounded good. This is a film about product placement and advertising, as you might be able to tell from the title POM Wonderful Presents: The Greatest Movie Ever Sold. Although you might be forgiven of not realising that it is meant seriously, because of the brands mentioned in the movie... I've heard of one, maybe two...

The point of this movie is that advertising is everywhere, and moreso getting to be product placement in movies and tv shows. So while highlighting that, Spurlock creates a movie that is paid for entirely by sponsors - which are pimped out during the movie itself (sometimes subtly, somethings not so much). And I tell you what, I'd be interested to see what this did to sales, I would be inclined to buy those products... if not for the fact that they are American and not over here.

If you like Spurlock, if you like documentaries, if you like finding out about the secrets behind advertising (in that way I was reminded of Czech Dream), definitely see this movie.


[END]

No comments: