Monday 9 July 2012

Planet of the Apes

Been a long time since I saw this movie, but I decided to watch it again.

And yet, it was like I hadn't watched it much at all. The first thirty minutes... no apes or anything, just the three astronauts wandering along the Forbidden Zone. The second thirty, it's the apes and Charlie unable to talk. Then the talking Charlie versus the ape society. And finally, they are treating each others as equals (although certainly not friends) before finding out the true nature of the planet. Very distinct parts to the movie. The religion vs science aspect is very obvious, hamhandedly so. And yet, nothing really is done with it here. It's more set up than pay-off.

Charlie and Linda Harrison get plenty of face time, but I always admire the make up effects here. Roddy McDowell and Kim Hunter give great performances through their masks, and all the ape faces are exceptionally well done. Did they win awards for this?

While I have seen this movie, I haven't seen the others... yet.

But, of course, what I really remember is this:

[END]

No comments: