Tuesday 20 August 2013

Colossal Shadows

I played Heir. I enjoyed Heir. I found out Heir was inspired by Shadow of the Colossus. I want to play Shadow of the Colossus. I even went as far as getting a PS2 with a box of games so I could play it. Because I'm known for my playing of console games (cough... only completed one, started another, never went back, can't get used to controller... cough). But that didn't stop me... from watching someone else play it! (Indeed I've watched more Geop LPs, and very good they are too.)

One point that's been made about Shadow is that it is basically boss fights. And that isn't far off. But what that really means is that each fight is a gimmick fight. Work out the gimmick for each boss, and then do that over and over again until they fall. When you put it that way... if you don't know what the gimmick is, expect to fail time and again. How is that fun? This is one of those 'work at it long enough, and the satisfaction of overcoming your frustration at being crap will be your high'. Yeah... I don't like those kinds of games. Too annoying.

Still, it definitely looks impressive. And there may be a movie based on it! Which, I hear, may only have three Colossuses (Colossi?) in it. From a game where there are a dozen or so. I can see how that would annoy people, but on the other hand, the game is several hours long and movies aren't. (And people complain when they are, yes I'm looking at you LOTR.) The real question is, will they get the horse right?

While I haven't played the game, I have at least experienced it. Now if I can find an LP for Ico...

[END]

No comments: