Friday 4 April 2014

The Witless Soldier

I can see how this fits in the on-going Marvel movie continuity, but the movie itself... eeeehhhhhh......

Okay, since I haven't really watched the trailers, I'm not sure how much of the story is known. Well, except who the Winter Solider is, because that's been given away in all sorts of places. I will say that the first half of the movie feels like it should be set-up of what's going on... but then, before there can be any investigation and tension building, we get all the answers, and then it just carries on with big flashy set pieces.

And there's the problem. Tension, the lack thereof. Without it, we just have these big set pieces, but they are just set pieces with nothing really at stake, and no dramatic reveals to make us care. Right now, I'm trying to remember any big character advancement... and aside from SamWilson, not really. Steve Rogers is still 'good when people are bad' and Natasha Romanoff is still 'badass with a haunted past' and so on. Nothing changes for them.

I already know there are plenty of people praising this movie. But for me, it just is, and that's all it is.

(And yes, there is a scene right at the very end of the credits, but you won't miss anything if you don't happen to see it.)

[END]

No comments: