Tuesday 7 October 2014

The Man Who Fell To Earth

Ponderous movie time, with The Man Who Fell to Earth, staring a coked up David Bowie.

Newton falls to earth and sets up a nice life using his advanced knowledge to create useful inventions. But then he meets a woman, and slowly his life goes to pot. And then he slowly falls to the truth of America (ie corruption and greed) and is consumed by the system. Go 'Murca!

This didn't need to be two and a half hours, by the halfway point I was more than ready for it to be over, and it was only halfway! And it felt like the director just put in some shots because they were arty and cool and meaningful (in a way that doesn't actually mean that much). I couldn't keep my concentration up.

David Bowie is fine enough in this. Rip Torn is just... a decent performance, but not outstanding. Candy Clark goes from likeable to annoying. The production was mostly good, and the special effects were very 70s.

Overall, can't say this was a great movie to me.

And because it was Bowie, I kept having this run though my head:

[END]

3 comments:

Jet Simian said...

RONG SONG!! RONG SONG!!

TMWSTW is at least five years older than the movie and totally unconnected...

...unlike Bowie's dark days album of the same year, which goes some way to revealing his then fragile state (and the impression making the movie made on him - Station To Station is the first of two consecutive albums to use Bowie's Thomas Jerome Newton on the cover artwork.) 'Low' was apparently supposed to be Bowie's attempt at a soundtrack in the early stages, but unfamiliar with much of it as I am, I suggest instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY77zDzNmYw

I'm only writing this because Jet Jr asked me to, honestly.

Jamas Enright said...

I know it's the wrong song, but I knew the song long before I knew the movie, so it's what came to mind first.

Has Jet Jr seen this movie?

Jet Simian said...

No, he doesn't care too much for la Bowie's on-screen performances outside of the early Mick Rock videos, really.