Friday 4 November 2022

Bar-bar-bar-barberryann

I've heard a few people talk about this horror movie, and I like horror movies, so I like this. Or do I?

A woman arrives at an AirBNB home, but finds someone else has also rented it out. It gets a bit creepy, but then they find the very creepier basement. A man tries to get away from his problems, and ends up at the same house, and finds the creepy basement. Another man sets up the creepy house.

If this sounds a bit disjointed, it really it. It's like three different stories that sort of come together, but it really just feels like three stories that don't cohesively work well together. Fine, I can easily put together details myself, but that's because I've seen this sort of thing so often before, I know what this movie is skipping over... which means this movie isn't actually a good movie in and of itself if I need meta-knowledge to bridge those gaps.

Georgina Campbell gives the best performance, Bill Skarsgard is decent enough, but one big problem... Justin Long. Nope, I just cannot take any horror movie seriously that has Justin Long in it. He has huge stoner energy and that just overwhelms any sense of dread or tension. Just can't buy it.

There are a number of problems with this movie that just don't work, and I thought that during the movie, these aren't 3am fridge thoughts, so... others like this movie, but it's not working for me.

[END]

No comments: