Wednesday 11 January 2023

Oggle this

The new DND OGL is causing trouble for lots of people, but now it's personal! By which I mean my friends have been told to stop working on paying projects until they can work out what this all means.

And I've seen a fair few takes on this from actual lawyers. Although, they often make it clear that they are not lawyers for this specific topic, which makes their opinions just that, opinions. Now, they might be educated opinions, but since they might miss some nuance or intricacy, they are just opinions (and if watching Legal Eagle has taught me anything it's that It Depends, and fine points of law are important). Additionally, they don't want to be help responsible for giving out actual legal advice that people act on, so opinion it will stay.

I've seen speculation that big players like Critical Role etc will be given nicer contracts that mean they can still produce their stuff without issue, because WOTC would be fools to restrict the big content makers. While I can see that being the case, it would be nice if the big players did also stand with the indies and not produce content.. but they need to make paychecks too, so while nice, I can also see them taking the nice contract if they are offered. (And as I say, speculation, so no-one one knows yet.)

This is one of them developing situations. I reckon something big will happen to resolve this, but what and when, I'm not holding my breath for.

[END]

No comments: