Thursday 6 April 2023

Just Cause 3: It Begins!

So I played a lot of Just Cause 2, and was always going to get around to Just Cause 3. And now I have. One thing about JC2 is that I cheated to have infinite health and ammo, and I came damn close to doing so again, but there was one aspect of the difficulty setting that never quite tipped me over (although I got damn close).

There is no difficulty setting. What you play is what you play. But I'm bad at video games, so won't I die over and over again? Yep. (I have no idea if the game made things easier in the background with lessening guards, etc., after dying. It might have done.) But one thing the game explicitly did: keep your progress. When you free bases/towns, you blow up objects (not fuel stations this time) and sometimes people. But once you've ticked them off the list... that's it. If you die and come back (with ammo replenished) you can keep going. Purely by attrition you can free the various bases/towns until you win! Some of the missions didn't quite work that way, but the open world stuff did, and that made it bareable.

(Outside of load times that is. I don't know if the program is bad, my computer is bad, or I should have used an SSD, but when you die, and you just want to get back to blowing up things, you have to wait for it to reload everything. Although that's not the worst part, more later.)

The story is the same as this and the Far Cry games... there's a dictator at the top, and you need to slowly free the various places from the bad guys until you've done enough for the story missions. The actual story is Rico (the hero) going back to his home country and freeing it, but aside from the setting, this is rather generic. And the ending fight is just silly (like I recall from the previous games).

[END]

No comments: