Friday 28 July 2023

Goodbye Ruby Gillman

Hnmmm... I suspect there's a puberty metaphor in there...

A young girl is facing the terrible ordeal of the school prom, and she also finds out she's a kraken and there's a whole epic sea war she's a part of. Which is kind of a lot. ... but this isn't the movie I thought it was from the trailer.

Although watching the trailer, there are lines in there that aren't in the movie. I was thinking we would be presented with mermaids being adored by everyone and being in public, and the actual hero (our kraken lead) was hiding away. That sort of happened, but... the mermaid was hiding as well. So there is a different movie out there that is what I was thinking of, but this isn't it.

As mentioned, there's the puberty metaphor, and a lot of mother/daughter dynamics, and there is a movie that happens around it. To be honest, I think I prefer Turning Red's take on it (but then that is Pixar and this is Dreamworks, so that's kind of a given). ... so is this Dreamworks churning out their own take on this following that movie?

Feels a little too generic and targeted to be an "it movie of the moment", but then I'm not the target audience. Nice enough watch, but not one I'll be remembering.

[END]

No comments: