Wednesday 24 January 2007

A filmic non-experience

During Conspiracy 2, I plan on running an event on versus some of the guest talks ('cos I haven't read their works), taking advantage of the small group of people that would be there. I have been saving my ticket stubs from all the movies I've been to for the past two years (since the Con was announced) and thus will be running "Movie Bitchfest", in which I randomly draw a ticket and we start... "discussing" the movie.

But if the movie I saw yesterday gets drawn... Someone once said that the worst thing a movie could be is boring. That may be, but another serious contender is "generic". And Eragon so was. (Frankly, I wasn't expecting much just based on the posters.) How much more "boy gets called to battle" plot thin can you get?

(I hope the books have far more depth than this.)

I foresaw pretty much all of the plot points (and that ending!) and was making (privately) "hurry along" gestures because nothing was surprising me. Don't give me big speeches or long drawn out scenes, I already know where it's leading to!

This does raise the question about how innovative movies and even books can be now. I saw the trailer for another movie (Bridge to Talibathia) and immediately thought "Narnia rip off".

It's been said that there are only seven basic stories. Certainly, there appear to be only three basic movie scripts and only the actors are different (and even then, only more or less)...

No comments: