Sunday 28 January 2007

Opening screens

(No, not opening credits, but they can be annoying too...)

So you decide to watch a DVD. You pop the disc into your player, and hit close. The DVD boots up... and there's the company logo... and there's the copyright notice... and the legal disclaimer... and the note about commentaries... and the GET THE $&*# ON WITH IT!!!

By this point, you'll be hitting all the buttons on the remote, trying to skip all this rubbish, but that's not allowed! (Although there are discs that aren't as strict as some.)

And then there's the anti-piracy segments. Hey, don't yell at us, we brought the damned DVD already, so don't inflict this on us! If you're lucky you can fast-forward, but that's about it.

Frankly, I could go watch another DVD during the time it takes that first one to boot up!

4 comments:

Alden Bates said...

Yeah, those are getting really out of control. When they start playing trailers before it gets to the main menu...

Jamas Enright said...

I hear the games industry is getting pretty bad too...

Paul Scoones said...

Totally agree!! Those piracy adverts are very annoying - especially since I've just bought the DVD rather than downloading it so it's like preaching to the converted.

Maybe it's not the same with all players but on my Pioneer I can hit chapter skip as soon as it starts to bypass the piracy advert.

Jamas Enright said...

Typically I can fast-forward through the piracy bits with my Pioneer (and it has different speeds!), but not skip. One recent disc I watched wouldn't even let me fast forward!