Thursday 19 April 2007

At the Speed of Fen

I've noticed something over the past few years when it comes to discussing the new episodes of Doctor Who on the NZDWFC board after they've just been screened in the UK. And I've noticed this because I'm always just outside that period.

When the new episode has aired, there is a flurry of posts of people discussing it, but then the flurry dies down. After that, there may be one or two more people chipping in their thoughts as they get to see it, but there isn't any real discussion.

In 2005, that period was about three days. I was getting the episodes on Wednesday, so noted that by the time I could participate the talking was pretty much over. Now it's around 24 hours (and I watch the episodes on Monday nights). (There seems to be few people in that initial discussion now, but there is still the same 'spurt and fade'.)

This effect might be due to people being able to access the episodes more quickly, even over a 2 year period access has advanced a lot, but it does generate a feeling in me of "speak now during our period, 'cos afterwards no-one is interested. It's all old news by the time you see it." This, I admit, is not the intended read, but the impression is there nonetheless.

I don't read those threads immediately because I want to wait for the episode(*), and I can post my own thoughts on my blog, but it's an interesting observation on the phenomena of fen and how quickly things happen.

(*)I'm tempted, for the 2008 series, to completely give in and be as spoilered as possible, just to see what that's like.

No comments: