Sunday 15 April 2007

"You're weird."

Hello, my name is Jamas and I listen to audio recordings of D&D RPG sessions.

(Hi Jamas!)

A while ago I was thinking of getting back into D&Ding, thanks to interest sparked by friends, and it occured to me that, given the wide web, there would be sites out there that are recording and posting recordings of sessions. Perhaps as podcast shows, perhaps some other way, but there'll be something nonetheless.

This brought me to RPGMP3.com. They play D&D 3rd ed (aka the d20 system), record their sessions as they work through modules, and you can download and listen to them. They also play other games, and be sure to check out their Christmas episodes for hilarious fun!

But that isn't the problem. The problem arises when I tell other people I do this. I get strange looks, questions of "why would you want to do that?" and, basically, the reaction summarised in the title.

Why do people go see movies? Why do people read books? Why do people listen to audio plays? Heck, these are all scripted entertainment, but people occupy their time with these things and enjoy them! And there are improv theatre entertainments, and people enjoy that!

These records are enjoyable, yes, but are more unscripted than a play, yet more scripted than theatre sports, and all as much fun. Could anyone have predicted the end to the Banewarrens? Or the ice sculpture attack in My Life with Santa? And could anyone have known how they would get through the World's Largest Dungeon?

It might sound weird, but it's just as fun and entertaining as most other stuff out there. Check it out, and maybe you might become weird too...

No comments: